Historic Walter Schmidt Tavern
The Historic Walter Schmidt Tavern Development is a historic property located at 1848 W. Fond du Lac Ave. in Milwaukee’s Lindsay Heights neighborhood. It was renovated and retrofitted by developer Eye Ntoboase, LLC for a new sit-down restaurant on the first floor and office space on the second floor.
The development also includes an adjacent 3,600 square foot vacant lot. The 3,432 square foot building was built in 1893 and much of the tavern’s original historic features are still in place, including a patterned hex-tile floor, finished wood molding and millwork, wrought ironwork, and embossed glass in the tavern’s entry door. Exterior features include a front terra cotta roof, leaded glass windows, and decorative piers in the Mission Revival style.
The completed Wally Schmidt project demonstrates a replicable social enterprise commercial real estate model with lasting impact. Download the Wally Schmidt Case Study.
Reclaiming the Historic Wally Schmidt Tavern: